FIND MORE RESOURCES
SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
Joining a special interest group lets you form partnerships on behalf of OR, network with people to advance your career, and take a lead in issues that affect you. We've assembled here a list of groups both within INFORMS and outside it. The groups selected are less theoretical and more heavily oriented to the practice of OR, and range across vertical fields and specialties.
INFORMS is home to a range of special interest groups, known
as subdivisions. Many of the groups allow you to exchange information with your
colleagues. (Visit INFORMS
listservs for more information.)
Following is an annotated selection of INFORMS special interest groups. A full list is available at http://www.informs.org/Subdiv.
- Aviation Applications encourages the development of applications and research in aviation, including airline planning and operations, air traffic control, airport planning, aviation financial, economic and policy analysis, aviation forecasting, and human factors in aviation.
- CPMS, the INFORMS Practice Section focuses on the way OR methodologies are applied in environments where customers seek practitioner help to solve problems, reduce costs, and improve results.
- Data Mining promotes research and applications among professionals interested in theory, methodologies, and applications in data mining and knowledge discovery.
- eBusiness promotes research, teaching, and networking among academics and practitioners in eBusiness technology, theory, measurement, and applications.
- Financial Services provides a continuing, specialized focus on financial services, with the aim of identifying current and potential problems and contributions to their solutions.
- Health Applications identifies current and potential problems, contributes to their solutions, and advances basic and applied research health application technologies.
- Information Systems Research disseminates research on the impact of IT in organizations and provides a forum for researchers and practitioners in information systems to interact.
- Marketing Science brings together cutting-edge researchers developing quantitative methods in marketing.
- Military Applications Society advances research in military operations, fosters higher standards in the practice of military ops research, promotes the exchange of information among developers and users of military OR, and encourages students.
- Manufacturing and Service Operations promotes the efficiency of industrial practice in relation to operations in manufacturing and service enterprises.
- Revenue Management promotes the extension of Revenue Management to new industries and advances the development of RM methods, techniques, and tools.
- Railroad Applications facilitates productivity improvements and growth in the rail industry through the application of OR techniques. Activities include roundtables, paper sessions at INFORMS national meetings, workshops, a newsletter, and focus groups.
- Transportation Science provides a specialized focus on transportation science and logistics, with the aim of identifying current and potential problems and contributions to their solutions.
Online discussion groups outside INFORMS provide additional opportunities to interact with colleagues. Among them are: